By: Misty Rodriguez
We are now encroaching upon the notorious season of Spring Cleaning. While this can be a dreaded chore for some of us, we can probably all admit that we need this in some form or fashion. It doesn’t have to be all work and no play, so here are a few tips to help you make the most of it:
1. Set a specific day, weekend or week and mark it on your calendar. Setting aside the proper amount of time can help keep you on track and avoid putting it off. Marking your calendar will get you mentally prepared for the task at hand as well as advance your level of intention.
2. Start with one area at a time. Have you ever heard the expression, “Don’t bite off more than you can chew?” It’s easy to get overzealous and start off well, but to avoid getting overwhelmed and quitting half way through, make a game plan and start with one area at a time. For me, I typically start with the easiest area and work my way toward the more challenging spaces. With each completed and organized space, I feel accomplished and my motivation is maintained. Another idea to keep you motivated is to try rewarding yourself in between accomplishments; doing this keeps things interesting and playful.
3. Donate and purge items that you are no longer using. Use the three bin rule to create piles for things to donate or give away, things to throw away, and things that are in the wrong place and need to be relocated. Remember to make honest assessments of when the last time you have used an item and if you really think you’ll use it again. To embrace the changes and progress you are making, try using the one-in one-out rule. Anytime you introduce a new item to the space, find an item to donate or give away.
4. Consider hiring a professional. Sometimes we need a little outside help when we get stuck. California Closets can help you establish a budget, set goals for your space, and help pick finishes and hardware details that fit your style and flow beautifully with your home. It’s that easy!
5. Have FUN! Create a playlist with your favorite upbeat music and get to work. Don’t be scared to stop for a dance break. Who said Spring Cleaning had to be boring anyway?
Function and style are a few of my favorite things. As a California Closets design consultant, I strive to enhance each and every home that I walk into by keeping up with the latest design trends, listening, facilitating, and collaborating solutions that beautifully organize any home. It’s my passion and I love every minute of it!